1 Fort Lauderdale
Local Search & News & Reviews
A building at a South Florida high school went up in flames Sunday. Now, investigators are trying to figure out what sparked the blaze.
The incident happened at the field house locker room at Miami Edison Senior High School in Miami.
“Firefighters were able to quickly knock down this fire and made entry into this storage facility, where we found athletic equipment belonging to the football team,” said Captain Ignatius Carroll of City of Miami Fire Rescue.
The Edison football team was heading back home from college tours when the fire started just after 1 p.m. Sunday. In a tweet, the team said, “We will rise.”
“We’re not exactly sure how this fire may have started,” said Capt. Carroll. “Investigators did come through some of the debris and didn’t find anything to lead them to believe this was intentionally set.
Firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the weight room and the main building.
Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho tweeted, “Thankfully, no one was hurt in the fire. However, this regrettable incident destroyed some football equipment and damaged storage facility. If you have information on what sparked it, please speak up. All will be replaced. No fire can stop Miami-Dade County Public Schools or Red Raider pride.”
“Right now, we are leaving the facility with school officials and school board police to determine whether or not the facility was properly secured and if there was any activity taking place here on the field prior to the fire starting,” said Carroll.
An investigation is now underway.