1 Fort Lauderdale
News & Reviews
What to Know
Fireworks can cause fires and severe burns.
Fireworks dazzle the sky on the Fourth of July and become a main attraction for families and friends, but here are some tricks for staying safe when having fun.
When using legal fireworks, the National Safety Council, NSC, reports that the following things should be kept in mind:
– Never allow young children to handle fireworks
– Never use fireworks under the influence of drugs or alcohol
– Never light them indoors
– Never point or throw fireworks at another person
– Children should be supervised always
– Keep a bucket of water nearby to extinguish fireworks that don’t go off in case of fire
“Fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires each year,” the National Safety Council wrote on their website.
The source of your fireworks could help avoid any dangerous effects.
“You want to make sure you buy your fireworks from a licensed vendor,” Coral Gables Fire Department, Liutenant Ishmael Roig said. “That ensures that they have been tested and they are safer.”
During this long weekend, make sure to keep fireworks and safety in mind.