“It’s Heartbreaking”: Family Displaced After Fire Rips Through Southwest Miami-Dade Home

A family is looking for a place to stay after being displaced by a fire in Southwest Miami-Dade.

Thick smoke and flames consumed the second floor bedroom of a home on Southwest 271st Street and 120th Avenue. Inside the home were two children, their wheelchair-bound uncle and four cats.

“It’s heartbreaking right now,” said the mother of the children who wished to remain anonymous.

The mother told NBC 6 that she stepped out to buy lunch and returned to a fire.

“My daughter took everybody out,” said the woman.

The woman went on to say her 5-year-old son found a lighter and she believes the fire started near the bed. Her 10-year-old daughter ran downstairs with her brother and alerted her uncle that they needed to get out of the house.

Thankfully, a contractor was working inside the home at the time of the fire and helped them all get out.

“I think they’re lucky to be alive and that a neighbor called 911,” said Alejandro Martinez, a neighbor.

According to the mother, she lost everything in her room, including important documents. But she is struggling to come to terms with the death of two of her cats.

“I’m just glad the kids made it out okay and they didn’t die in the fire,” said Diana Pabron, a neighbor.

The children only suffered minor injuries. They were treated on scene.

The Red Cross responded to the scene to help them find a place to stay.

Get the latest from NBC 6 anywhere, anytime