1 Fort Lauderdale
Local Search & News & Reviews
Law enforcement officers are taking extra precautions to make sure sex offenders do not partake in Halloween-related activities involving kids and minors.
According to the Florida Department of Corrections, registered sex offenders are given strict instructions to follow on Halloween night, including:
• Do not give out candy or other treats.
• Turn off porch lights, close blinds.
• No outside decorations to attract children.
• Do not answer the door to trick-or-treaters.
• Do not dress in costumes or masks.
• Do not attend Halloween parties where children will be present.
The department said probation officers will make contact with every sex offender under their jurisdiction during designated “trick-or-treat” hours. They will also survey local communities regularly, according to a news release. Sex offenders can expect surprise visits from probation officers, as well as heightened surveillance at motels and treatment facilities that they use.
Any offender who doesn’t follow the rules is subject to immediate arrest.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has a searchable database that the public can use to search for sexual offenders and predators in their neighborhood. Click here to enter your address and search the database for predators/offenders in your community.